Salesforce: Building Apps with Force.com
Duration: 5 Days
This comprehensive hands-on course teaches students how to use the declarative ("point and click") capabilities of the Force.com platform to create Salesforce applications.
This course provides the foundation for developers who need to know how to leverage these capabilities for rapid development, and to prepare for learning the use of Apex, Visualforce, and Visualforce page controllers in the follow-on advanced course, Salesforce: Enhancing Apps with Apex and Visualforce.
For the lab exercises, students will register for a free developer account with Salesforce.com.
Topics Covered In This Course
Introducing the Force.com Platform
- Cloud computing and PaaS
- Force.com as a platform
- Technologies behind a Force.com platform app
- Basics of an application's user interface
- Requesting a Salesforce Developer account
Creating the Application Data Model
- Introduction to Salesforce objects
- Difference between standard objects and custom objects
- Creating custom objects
- Creating custom fields
- Using the Schema Builder to create and manage objects and fields
Creating the User Interface
- Creating an app
- Creating custom object tabs
- Creating custom web tabs
- Creating and customizing page layouts
- Using page layouts to create, update, and delete object records
- Concept of record types
- Creating and using record types
Implementing Data Relationships
- Implementing dependent picklists
- Types of object relationships available in Salesforce
- Implementing lookup fields
- Implementing master-detail relationships
- Using junction objects to implement many-to-many relationships
Data Management Tools
- Issues that may affect importing data
- Using the Data Import Wizard
- Using the Data Export service
- Using the Data Loader utility
Implementing Business Logic
- Creating validation rules
- Using Salesforce functions
- Creating formula fields
- Creating roll-up summary fields
- Creating workflow rules
- Creating assignment actions
- Creating e-mail actions
- Creating time-triggered workflows
Reporting and Analytics
- Salesforce reporting environment
- The difference between report types and reports
- Creating and customizing report types
- Creating tabular reports
- Creating summary reports
- Creating matrix reports
- Creating joined reports
- Using bucket fields to segment data
- Using custom summary formulas to perform calculations on report data
- Conditional highlighting
- Adding charts to reports
- Running, printing, and exporting reports
- Scheduling reports
- Subscribing to reports
- Purpose of a dashboards
- Creating, customizing, and implementing dashboards
Packaging and Distributing Apps
- Techniques for deploying apps
- Creating, customizing, and uploading packages
- Deployment connections
- Change sets
- Creating, customizing, and upload change sets
What You Can Expect
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
Build and customize multi-user cloud applications with just clicks.
- Define the data model for an application.
- Customize the user interface.
- Manage application data.
- Create validation rules, formula fields, and roll-up summary fields.
- Automate business processes using workflow rules.
- Create reports and dashboards.
- Package and distribute applications.
Who Should Take This Course
This course is designed for new application developers who want to create custom Force.com applications, or customize existing Salesforce applications.
Previous experience in designing and coding application programs will enhance the results of this course.
Instructor-led with hands-on workshops.
Salesforce: Enhancing Apps with Apex and Visualforce
Every student attending a Verhoef Training class will receive
a certificate good for $100 toward their next public class taken
within a year.
You can also buy "Verhoef Vouchers" to get a discounted rate for a
single student in any of our public or web-based classes.
Contact your account manager or our sales office for details.