Getting Ready For Verhoef's Web-Based Training
In order to ensure that you are ready for class please read the following information and where possible verify that your computer meets the minimum requirements for the Training Session client.
Please note: you will need a dedicated telephone line (ideally with a headset or speaker for comfort) to dial in to the conference and participate in this training. You will be dialing into a toll-free number, provided to you at the time you join your class.
If you will be attending the training session from home, please do not connect your PC to any work VPN.
Please check the minimum requirements list below for the computer platform that you intend to use for the training session. To verify that your computer and network are able to connect to our web-based training tool, we urge you to visit this link a few days before your class is scheduled, using the computer, and at the location, that you'll be using when you attend your training session:
For the hands-on component of many of our courses, you will need to have a terminal emulator installed on your computer, and you'll need to assure that your firewalls are configured to allow use of that emulator.
For hands-on mainframe classes, you will need to use a 3270 terminal emulator to connect to our servers via the Telnet-3270 protocol. Hummingbird is one popular vendor, but many other products will work fine as well. Verify that your emulator and network configuration is usable by configuring and making a Telnet-3270 connection to IP address 22.214.171.124, port 23000. Be sure that SSL (may be called "privacy", "security", "encryption") is not enabled for the connection. If you see our Mainframe splash screen you have successfully verified your configuration.
For hands-on UNIX/Linux classes, you will need an ANSI/ASCII terminal (sometimes called "VT-100") emulator to connect to our servers via the Secure-Shell (SSH) protocol. The PuTTY emulator is a popular, freely downloadable emulator that can be installed without having Administrator privileges, but other terminal emulators that support the SSH protocol will work as well. Verify that your emulator and network configuration is usable by configuring and making an SSH connection to IP address 126.96.36.199, port 22. If you see the "login as:" prompt, you have successfully verified your configuration.
To assure that both the computer and network configuration is usable, it is vitally important to test all the above connections a few days prior to the class, from the computer and the location you intend to use for participating in the class.
Joining Your Training Session
When your training date arrives, you should join the session at least a few minutes prior to the scheduled start time – it will be available to you as much as 30 minutes in advance. Here's the process:
- Direct your browser to the session's location as provided in your invitation ( http://verhoeftraining.webex.com ).
- Find your course's entry there (you should be on the "Today" or the "Upcoming" tab).
- If the Status column is showing a "Join" link, then just click that link to join the session. If the Status is "Not Started", you are probably just a bit early to join the session. In that case, verify the class start-time, and check again a bit closer to the scheduled time.
- After clicking the "Join" link, you will need to enter your name, email address, and the session password that was provided in your invitation. The name you enter here will be displayed during the session, so go ahead and use a nickname if that's how you want the instructor and other participants to refer to you during the session.
- The WebEx Training application will then start in a new window – it takes a few seconds (a few minutes if a new version of the application needs to be installed to your computer). When it's ready, your browser window will show a "Connected to Session" message. As that screen advises, you must not exit from that browser window, but you can minimize it because you won't need it during the session.
- On the Training application, you should see the session information on your screen (you might need to click on the "Info" tab). This includes the teleconference phone number, training session number, and your "Attendee ID".
- Dial into the teleconference, keying the session number and Attendee ID when prompted for them.
- Enjoy your training session.
Please be sure to do the above steps in the order shown. In particular, you need to join the session with your browser before you dial into the teleconference so that you'll have the Attendee ID that correctly associates your browser session with your audio.
Should you need any further assistance at all, please contact any of the following people and they will do everything they can to help.
|Verhoef Training Account Manager:|
|Kathy Welsh||email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Verhoef Training Technical Support:|
|Brian Miller||email: email@example.com
|or send email to our tech-support team at firstname.lastname@example.org|
What do I need to attend a training session using Microsoft Windows?
Minimum requirements to attend a fully interactive training session if you will be using a Windows-based computer:
- Windows 2000, Windows XP, Vista, or Windows-7
- Intel x86 (Pentium 400MHZ+) processor
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later, or Mozilla 1.6 or later.
- 56K or faster Internet connection
- ActiveX must be enabled
What do I need to attend a training session using Mac OS?
Minimum requirements to attend a fully interactive training session if you will be using a Mac-based computer:
- Mac OS 10.2.x or later
- Internet Explorer 5.2 or later, or Safari 1.1 or later
What do I need to attend a training session using Linux?
Minimum requirements to attend a fully interactive training session if you are using a Linux-based computer:
- Any Linux distro using Kernel 2.4+ and Xfree86
- Intel x86 (Pentium 400MHZ +) processor
- Mozilla 1.6 or later
- GNOME, KDE, or other compatible desktop manager
- 56K or faster Internet connection
Other Platforms may also be supported for the client interface. Please contact us for more details if required.