Transition to Solaris 11 (from Solaris 10)
Duration: 5 Days
On our website at:
This course is intended for Solaris 10 Administrators who wish to quickly get up to speed with the new features of Solaris 11. It covers all the major new facilities, in a workshop environment, providing extensive hands-on practicals.
This course provides preparation for the Upgrade to Solaris 11 Systems Administrator (1Z0-820) exam.
Topics Covered In This Course
Introduction to the new Solaris 11 operating system changes and enhancements.
- Considerations for a transition from Solaris 10 to 11.
Solaris 11 Installations
- Preparations for installation.
- Overview of install methods.
- Installation using the interactive installer (SPARC and Intel).
- Installation with AI media (automated installer) (SPARC and Intel).
- Using AI media for troubleshooting, etc.
- Automated network installs, and how to migrate Solaris 10 Jumpstart rules, sysidcfg and profiles.
- The distribution constructor.
- Overview of the IPS( Image Package System).
- Using basic pkg commands to list packages and packages information.
- Installing, verifying, fixing and removing packages.
- Package group management.
- Using the packagemanager GUI.
- IPS repository management, including the creation and use of local release and support repositories.
Manage Boot Environments.
- Boot environments in Solaris 11 compared to Live Upgrade in Solaris 10.
- Managing BE's with beadm.
- BE's and IPS - how they interact.
Changes in Zones.
- Overview of new zone features.
- Creating and managing zones.
- Creating a branded Solaris 10 zone, including p2v and v2v conversions.
- NFS server now supported in a non-global zone.
- Read-only zones.
Network Features and Changes.
- Day-to-day network configuration and management changes/enhancements.
- The new ipadm and enhanced dladm command.
- The new network virtualisation features.
- Network Auto-Magic (NWAM).
- Implement IPMP (Internet Protocol Multi-Pathing).
- Use network resource controls and network bridges.
- ipadm and IPv6.
Disk Storage Enhancements
- Overview of the new and changed features.
- ZFS deduplication.
- ZFS snapshot changes.
- ZFS zpool split - the ability to split a mirror from a pool, then import it.
- ZFS shadow migration.
- Describe the COMSTAR (COmmon Multiprotocol Scsi TARget) framework.
- Implement iSCSI including target and initiator systems.
System Security New Features and Changes
- Overview of the new security features.
- Configure data encryption, and create an encrypted file system.
- System integrity using the Basic Audit Reporting Tool (BART), including report customisation.
This course is only suitable for experienced Solaris 10 administrators.
Solaris 11 Administration
Solaris Performance and Tuning
Solaris 11 Advanced Administration
Every student attending a Verhoef Training class will receive
a certificate good for $100 toward their next public class taken
within a year.
You can also buy "Verhoef Vouchers" to get a discounted rate for a
single student in any of our public or web-based classes.
Contact your account manager or our sales office for details.